Monday, February 23, 2015

Horror Flick of the Week: 13 Curses/Trece Campanadas

As I was preparing for our upcoming podcast episode (at long last), I recalled a movie I'd seen last year. Excellent atmosphere, an interesting story arc, and a good example of a movie on my incredibly long Netflix list that I had put off way too long before actually watching it.





13 Curses (Trece Campanadas) is the story of a young man going back to the town he spent his childhood in before a mysterious accident occurred one stormy night claiming the life of his father and the sanity of his mother.

His father was an incredible artist with inclinations towards the more morbid side of sculpting, which in itself is always pretty awesome when you're dealing with vengeful spirit movies. But of course, this is more than that. Much more. Luis Tosar delivers an incredible performance as the ghost and memory of Mateo, the main character's father. This was actually one of my first Luis Tosar films, and it's a great entry into his lexicon.

The Spanish language itself lends itself to incredible horror potential. There's something about the sound, the passion of the words themselves, and I just don't know if 13 Curses would have been nearly as good if it had been of the English fare. An absolutely incredible movie worth a watch on any night.


No comments:

Post a Comment