Saturday, April 4, 2015

Book(s) of the Week: The Shadow over Innsmouth and Other Stories of Horror



Ahhhh, H. P. Lovecraft. It's no secret how fond I am of his work. A man claimed by death before he could properly greet the old ones, who many say was only beginning to truly perfect and hone his skills when he died at the relatively young age of 46. It took a bit of soul searching to figure out which of his books to feature, which collection of stories had just the right balance and style to feature for the un-initiated into his world. So I picked the one that started me off, a book my mother almost donated to Goodwill when I was a kid (before I pillaged through the junk boxes and saved both this book, along with another book I've featured, Carmilla.)

Intrepid adventurer, know ye this: step wisely into the written word, and with your imagination sharpened. To read Lovecraft is to read a whole story in one sitting, for each one deserves no less than your full attention. Also, keep in mind that a good deal of his writing reflects the mind-set of the time, as well as a certain style which does turn some people off. To an avid reader, this book is a delight. To someone who doesn't really enjoy reading...well...why are you reading an article about a book of the week in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment