Thursday, October 16, 2014

Featured Fear: Coulrophobia (Fear of Clowns)


Did you hear that? There was a squeaky sound. I just heard it. No, I'm not making it up. I'm telling you, there's A CLOWN IN THIS ROOM!



Oh...no, that was just my chair, false alarm.

A surprisingly large number of people have a creeping fear of these pancake-covered children's entertainers, with their large shoes and red noses. The suffix 'coulro' doesn't translate to clown, though. Apparently it means stilt-walker. I can't really say who decided that would be appropriate...possibly because it sounds a little silly.

Many an unprofessional actor is responsible for this fear, believe it or not. I know more than a handful of people who caught a clown on a bad day when they were children and got screamed at or even shoved. Unfortunately, there are always going to be people who give one job a bad name. It's just a shame that children's entertainers aren't exempt from having bad moods.

Still more people just feel uncomfortable with the exagerated behavior of a clown. The intense colors of their clothes. The crazy hair. They are rather wild-looking, when you think about it.

I close this entry about clowns with a gentle reminder that maybe...just maybe...if clowns come from space, those are the ones you'll really want to avoid.


No comments:

Post a Comment