Thursday, October 5, 2017

Book of the Week - The Knife Man, by Wendy Moore

As I'm generally more inclined to fiction, I'm sure this entry will come as a surprise. Granted, I've featured a book about body snatchers before, and I'm certain I featured another about the theory that there may have been a real Sweeney Todd...



Anyway, nonfiction isn't a common theme on this blog, but I simply couldn't pass this one up. It was too good of a read not to share. Wendy Moore did what few biographers seem to manage so beautifully, in that she brought a man and his work back from the dead. How suiting for one of the most influential men in the development of surgical practices in the last 400 years. John Hunter, who despised the written word, translated beautifully onto the page.

As a boy, he skipped school, and as a man he helped his brother cement the foundation of one through body snatching, innovation, hard work, and sheer talent. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't pick up this book as soon as possible and read it cover to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment