Monday, October 22, 2018

Mod Podge Coffee Table

I pride myself on 'planning' to do things. I always 'plan' to decorate for the holidays (Christmas and Halloween being the big ones), but always finding a reason to put it off until the big day is gone--and why would I be decorating for Halloween in November? This isn't a holiday themed post, however, it's a project I've been meaning to get to since I was 23. Buying a crappy coffee table and mod podging the hell out of it with horror lobby cards.

Not to worry. The cards were re-prints. I'm not a monster. Below is the table in question, a chipped piece of pressed wood junk I got from Goodwill for 5 bucks. Cleaned the surface and prepped my paint in a Halloween-themed paper plate.


Started by sloppily giving the edge of the tabletop a black coat just to cover up the worst of the scratches.


After that, because I had a crap-ton of paint leftover, figured I might as well use what I could just in case there were spaces in-between the lobby cards--or I gave up and decided I would just have a weird painted monster instead of a mod podge masterpiece.


Hey, those bits there kinda look like bats! Totally intentional.


Rounded edges on the table, so I had to use a hobby knife to trim the corners of the cards. Then globbed on the mod podge glue like there was no tomorrow. Quick tip - - an 8 oz bottle is never enough. Lesson learned.


Not gonna lie, halfway through I stopped caring about precision, and more about just finishing it. So I dumped half the bottle out.

 

Finished layering the cards. Wiped off the top to brighten up the pictures a bit. Sprayed some sealant and BOOM!


Close-ups...





No comments:

Post a Comment