Saturday, October 15, 2016

Featured Fear: Aquaphobia (fear of water)

I hope you don't mind if I put my drink beside you. There we go...don't worry, though. It's just water.

Hey...are you alright? You look like you're starting to sweat a little. Hold on, I'm just going to take a nice, refreshing sip...Oh, I'm sorry. Here, let me get that for-...you're sure you're okay? Yeah, I've got a paper bag here somewhere for you to breathe in. Do you want something to drink to calm you dow...where are you going?!

Aquaphobia. The fear of water. It's not too hard to believe there are people out there without rabies who have a perishing desire to avoid it at all costs. (By the way, the fear associated with rabies is called 'Hydrophobia'.)  I mean, too much water can kill you, can't it? Whether it's just several drinks, or just being surrounded by it and unable to get any air. Houdini was well aware of how dangerous water could be, after all...water was part of his most famous escape act.


It's hard to tell anyone with a phobia 'not to worry'. However, Houdini survived each and every water torture performance, even surrounded by locks and chains...so if anything, I'd say a ruptured appendix is something to be far more concerned about. So sit back, relax, have a glass of water, and remember...it's everywhere, even in the air you breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment