Monday, May 5, 2014

Horror Flick of the Week: Blood Creek (2009)

For some reason, I didn't think this one would be good. Even considering it was directed by Joel Schumacher. So what happened? I was proven horribly wrong in the best way possible. This. Movie. Is. Awesome. It's one of those rare newer pictures that just kind of drags you in within the first five minutes. It's perfect alone at night or in the middle of the day with friends, because it is just that good.



I suppose you're wondering why it's so amazing, though, so I won't keep you in suspense. It's like a combination of Warlock and Evil Dead with maybe just a taste of Nazis. I think we all know there's really no more despicable living villain than a Nazi. So when a Nazi 'doctor'/'scientist'/'nutjob'/'occultist'/whatever comes to a small farm in America, I was only left wondering 'what the hell is this guy going to do?'

Of course the only real ties the family that live there even have to the dude is the fact that they're German, which apparently means you can let Nazis come crash on your couch whenever the want. I don't know about you, but I think I'd start pretending I was from Austria-Hungary when this dude came to call.

There's a gigantic stone hidden on the property of the family with ancient script (runes) scrawled all around it. That wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that the guy staying with them and investigating the stone is...well...like I said, a Nazi. This doesn't bode well for the family, and even 80+ years on they're still feeling the effects of their unwelcome house guest, long after Hitler called it a night with Eva in their bunker.

Evan is a young man trying his best to help care for his missing brother's family, and ceaselessly trying to find out what happened to him. You'd think this would just be your run-of-the-mill mystery, wherein there's some kind of German Nazi cult worshiping Hitler trees or some shit, but then his brother shoes up and drags Evan on a strange trip out into the middle of nowhere. And we're re-introduced to the farmhouse. But...it looks like...could it be...the elder brother from the beginning of the movie is still the same age? WHAT?! I'll stop here, because I can't trust myself not to reveal more. But this is...god this is a good movie. Watch it IMMEDIATELY when you get the chance. Ignore the title. Ignore the massive disappointments horror has been generally coming up with for the past 15 years...just enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment