Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Horror Flick of the Week: Ghostbusters (1984)



Re-watching this film for our upcoming podcast episode, I was reminded that this is just a fun movie. Sure, it may not be as niche as Sugar Hill, and certainly not as dark as Dagon...but not all horror movies are made alike. Some are horror comedy, some are more kid-friendly. Barring the sexy times between the keymaster and the gatekeeper, you've got yourself a pretty solid (and enjoyable) kid-friendly movie here.

Sure, some of the effects are dated. It's hard to find a movie more than 6 years old that doesn't have dated SFX...but I'm still a bit more intrigued by the stop-motion statues than I would have been if they were cgi monsters.

It spawned two cartoon series, a mega cache of merchandise (I've got a Slimer doll tucked away on my shelf right now) and even got itself a tidy little lawsuit from Huey Lewis, which ultimately got settled out of court.

It's a good weekend picture. It's a good movie to watch with kids. It's a good movie to watch with friends. Ghostbusters (and the sequel) are ultimately just good movies, and worth re-watching every couple of years. I'll save further opinions for our upcoming podcast, but I think it's fairly obvious I won't have much negative to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment