Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Book of the Week: The Mask (comic book series) by John Arcudie and Doug Mahnkie


I've been wanting to talk about this one for awhile. I'm sure most of you reading probably grew up knowing the movie just as well as I did, and may have even watched the 90s cartoon. Wasn't the 90s a great time for cartoon spin-offs? Killer Tomatoes was probably my favorite...

None of those spin-offs, and not even the movie were even remotely close to just how dark the comics they were based on turned out to be when I finally read it. The Mask doesn't just imbue a person with cartoonish super powers and strip them of their inhibitions, it strips them of their sanity altogether as the ultimate cost. This series is just as wonderfully violent as Evil Ernie, with ample gore to satisfy the grimmest comic fans. Prior to the film and cartoons, the mask was called 'Big Head'. Stanley is no hero. The Mask is more of a monkey's paw than a gift, or maybe even a Jekyll and Hyde potion. It's a fantastic series, and I can't recommend it enough. Especially if you enjoy having your childhood memories shredded.

No comments:

Post a Comment