Thursday, October 17, 2024

Horror Flick of the Week: Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde (1995)

 


Listen - - okay, so you know when I start a sentence with that word, I'm about to give you a long-winded explanation about why I'm right when it's clear you're right. This movie IS bad. It's bad good - - bad good, in the way only an early to mid 90s movie can be. AND yes, it's not really a horror film, but it plays on tropes of a classic horror story. Plus, Tim Daly needs more love, and I must've watched this film 1000 times growing up. This does perhaps go back to the fact that my parents probably should've screened the stuff I rented more thoroughly, but here we are today. I 'm 35, somewhat well-adjusted, and I still love this wonderfully silly and incredibly problematic 'horror' comedy - - what's more, I'm recommending it to you, if you haven't seen it.

If you love old-fashioned shopping montages, Harvey Fierstein (you remember him, Robin Williams's brother in Mrs. Doubtfire), Sean Young at her most beautiful, and pseudo-science disguising itself as aromatic chemistry, give this one shot. Maybe take a shot or two in the process, but this is my pick for the week. It's just fun. (If you want something with the same plot, but more along the lines of legitimate horror, I do highly recommend Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde too.)




No comments:

Post a Comment