Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Horror Flick of the Week: Suspiria (1977)

Back in the 60s, there was an intriguing artist who had come into the world of directing. Inspired by Mario Bava in his art, Dario Argento created some very interesting...and very striking films. Three films of his focused on witched, the 'Three Mothers' trilogy. Suspiria is my favorite of these movies, if not my favorite Argento picture in general....with The Bird With the Crystal Plumage as a close second.



It takes place in a bizarre (and prestigious) dance academy where some of the more curious students seem to be dying in very strange and mysterious ways, by the hands of something living...or perhaps dead? It's an absolute visual feast, a movie that demands full attention if it is to be appreciated. I had put off watching Suspiria for a long time because of the hype, and that generally kills a movie for me. I really wish I hadn't, but I'm also glad I did, because seeing this as an adult really helped me to appreciate the brilliant cinematic qualities of this movie.

If you like witches. If you like magic. If you like horror. Faerie tales. Creative murder scenes. Creepy children. Weird tall men with ugly teeth. Intriguing camera techniques. Beautiful architecture. Intense lighting design. Any of this...you need to watch Suspiria as soon as possible.

2 comments:

  1. The thing that makes Suspiria especially creepy for me is that a good deal of the strangeness isn't explained. The blind piano player, for example.... You feel there is a reason for it all, but it's never mentioned.

    Your fellow 2014 Cryptkeeper,
    Richard @ pureblather.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely. It's a film with multiple layers of symbolism and bizarre undertones. Makes it easily re-watchable.

      Delete