Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Horror Flick of the Week: 1922 (2017)

I swear I'm not trying to be King-centric this month, but I just watched this movie yesterday and it was amazing. It's on par with the absolute best film adaptations of King stories, and miles ahead of the worst ones (I'm looking at you 'Sometimes They Come Back Again' and 'Maximum Overdrive', even though I secretly love you both.) This also may be the first Netflix original I've recommended on here, which actually makes me think I'll have to do a short list of must-see Netflix horror later.



After the establishing sequence with the cracking walls, I was hooked. Ghosts. Rats. Guilt. Murder. Greed. There's so much atmosphere, powerful direction, fantastic acting and cinematography. Thomas Jane was unrecognizable, and he really earned a lot of respect from me for his performance. He is what ultimately makes this dark horror, about a man living a hard life of his own accord and destroying it spectacularly over the course of one year, through a combination of his own choices and reaping what he sows. 1922. If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and watch it tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment