Sunday, October 18, 2020

Book of the Week: "Horror Cinema (Bibliotheca Universalis)" by Jonathan Penner, Steven Jay Schneider, et al.

 


How many of you demanded to see the pictures in the storybooks when your parents or teachers read them to you? I'm going to be frank here, even when I have been a grown-up and responsibly poured through mountains of novels or academic papers, the lack of pretty pictures sometimes breaks my heart. Do not worry, my friends and fiends, for not only does Horror Cinema have loads of awesome pictures, but it's nowhere near as long and wide as a thirty pound coffee table book most of us just keep for decoration.

I stumbled on this book at a famous Austin book store I can't quite place (they've got quite a few) and it was simply one I couldn't walk out without buying. Your typical list book or encyclopedia of films will give you thousands of pages, plenty of pictures, but only short paragraphs recommending a film before moving on to the next. This one not only provides several photos for each film, but entire essays about the influence and style and exactly why you need to watch it. I've never had such a fantastic and comprehensive encyclopedia of film, and I think all horror lovers need to add this to their collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment