Sunday, October 11, 2020

Book of the Week: House of Leaves



To quote my boyfriend this week, as I haven't finished the novel yet and feel like everyone needs to check this one out, 

"House of Leaves is a must read for any horror fan. What initially started for me as a slow burn quickly turned into a page-turner that reminded me of what made me such a huge fan of the genre in the first place. It transported me back to a time before I had consumed enough horror to predict all the tricks and tropes, when every page flip was exciting and every moment was tense and uncertain. The fear of the unknown is a staple of all good horror from the grand cosmic horror down to your classic murder mystery, and no book encapsulates that primal fear more than House of Leaves. 

It takes every chance it can to remove you from your comfort zone, from pages that need to be read upside down or out of order and everything in between. What initially seems like a gimmick at first glance becomes much more as you become truly engrossed. After maddeningly flipping back and forth through pages you eventually become completely unaware of how far along in the book you even are, you begin to feel lost, and it’s at that moment where House of Leaves is at its best. It’s a truly unique experience that can make you feel like you are a part of the horror just as much as the characters on the page."

- Ryan Bustos

1 comment:

  1. I need to put this on my to-read list. Maybe for next year.

    ReplyDelete