Sunday, October 25, 2015

Book(s) of the Week: Monster of the Year




As a kid, when I wanted a spooky book at the school library, I'll admit I judged everything by the cover. In early elementary school, I adored the card catalogue (I'm sure some of you remember those huge filing cabinets with 'key words' scrawled in .2 size font.) I knew that without fail, Bruce Coville always had books with the best covers. I still remember the day I found this book based on the key word 'monster'.

It was cute, it was fun, and it was perfect for a kid like myself...who enjoyed nothing more than putting as many monsters together in one story as possible. It's basically about a boy who gets a gift from his dad: a billboard. He can do anything he wants with that little bit of ad space...so he decides to make something fun. A piece of art for a 'monster contest'. What he doesn't expect, however, is monsters from around the world showing up to take part. Who knew roadside ads were so effective?



No comments:

Post a Comment