Saturday, October 17, 2015

Vintage Comics - Black Magic, Issue #1: Last Second of Life, The Woman in the Mirror (Cover-16)

My first impression when I looked at the Black Magic series was 'wow'. The art style is frankly excellent. Super Hero comic quality, in fact. I decided to do a little looking, and it turns out the series was made by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby...so no wonder the quality is so good. Seeing as the series started in the 50s, too, it's a bit later than most of the comics I've featured so far. In fact, reading this, I grew a little irritated just thinking about how difficult it can be to find good (old) horror comics at the shops I've been to. Usually you'll find gems like this tucked into the back of a 'Misc.' box, or beneath a stack of comics nobody has bothered to sort yet.

The stories in Black Magic are classic ones, the kind we've seen in many forms for decades on shows and in books. The first one features a man with little respect for death, and even less for the dying. He decides to seek the knowledge of things beyond life best left unknown. The second story proves a point I made in yesterday's article...that mirrors are downright evil, and old ones are even worse.


















No comments:

Post a Comment